Thursday 17 November 2016

My Other Favorite Sport

Before weightlifting, wrestling was my sport of choice.  

I just returned from my first international senior wrestling tournament (outside of Canada) that included both women's and men's freestyle in addition to Greco-roman competitions. The tournament was hosted at the New York Athletic Club in Manhattan and included very high caliber competitors. I know that if I want to continue to grow my skills as a referee and to pursue this at an international level, that I need to become competent in officiating Greco. Which is exactly why I chose to travel to the NYAC Bill Farrell International.

Women's Wrestling Tournament on day 1 of the Bill Farrell International at the New York Athletic Club
I want to thank the Black Bears Wrestling Club for continuing to support me in this sport both while I was an active member and now. I love that our wrestling community is so small and so interconnected that I can easily call up my former coach and ask if I can bunk in with the team to save on my expenses (because I quickly discovered that hotels in Manhattan are hella expensive). 

Black Bear Sam Stewart getting ready to launch her
opponent during the bronze medal match at the 2016 NYAC
Without this support and constant willingness to assist others in our sport, wrestling in Canada would not be as successful as it is. In fact  Canadian wrestlers have won Olympic medals at every games since 1992! 

I started wrestling in New Brunswick when I was 15 after being recruited to the high school team by the coach. After the first practice, I was hooked. After high school, I joined the varsity team at my undergraduate university where I spent 7 years as a member of the Black Bears Wrestling Club. Because of the Black Bears, I spent many years as a competitive athlete and was supported as I developed my coaching and referee skills. While my body is now too old and broken to continue wrestling, refereeing is something that I can pursue for decades to come. 

Without all the time, resources and effort that the Black Bears (past and present) showed me in those early years, I wouldn't be where I am today.  Although I now live in Ontario where I am supported by my colleagues at the Ontario Amateur Wrestling Officials Association, I will always be a Maritimer and a Black Bear at heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment