Wednesday 22 February 2017

Operation Garage Gym

I started weight training in my high school gym when I was 13 years old. At that point, I had no idea what I was doing. Since that time, there has been a lot of figuring things out as I went. Over the years, I've learned a few things from friends, coaches, trainers and from taking some courses.

The one thing has not changed in that time is my need for a gym. It doesn't matter where I have lived, I absolutely need to find somewhere to train.

The gym environment has changed a lot for me. While I always used the school gym when I was a student, I also have frequented CrossFit gyms and Powerlifting gyms. As I have progressed in my training to focus on olympic weightlifting, I have found that I have become more and more particular about my training environment.

I need a clean gym space, with adequate equipment so one is not fighting for plates, and the freedom to follow my directed programming in a safe manner. That may be a tall order, but after many years, I have finally realized my dream of having my own place to work out. After weeks of planning and looking for equipment, it all came together in the form of Guelph Barbell 2.0!

Guelph Barbell 2.0 is my favorite place to spend a few hours surrounded by like-minded people who want to lift heavy things. I don't have to drive thirty minutes across town, I don't have to fight for parking. I also benefit from not having to wait for a platform, I can drop weights from overhead if I need to bail on a lift and I can play music ridiculously loud. From now on, whenever I need to "go to my happy place" you can find me in the garage gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment